Thursday, December 2, 2010

Blood Elves and Deadlines

One would think having a husband that travels and no family to tend to, I'd have all the time in the world to work.  But the loneliness and boredom of the day seeps in and I find solace in my escapes like computer games and endless lists of things to do (items that rarely get checked off - just rearranged and re-worded).  The day slips away before I know it.  And yet another day gone in the life of Erica Graham.  One I'll never get back.  December 2, 2010 will never take place again.  And what have I done with this day?

I miss my family and friends and being in a town that is neither city nor country bugs the heck out of me.  In the heart of a major city, there is hustle and bustle.  You can walk to your destination or hail a cab.  There is always something open and people around. 

In the country you have fresh air and privacy.  You can make whatever noise you want or mess for that matter as visitors are rare and neighbors are few.  Scenery that is majestic and not made by man. 

In a town that is in between - you fight traffic to get where you are going.  Cabs don't drive down on cul-de-sacs very often and walking across an interstate to get where you want to go probably is not the best idea.
The houses are so close together in the suburbs, they may as well be apartments and yet the housing developers plan and build them to make you think you have your own yard.  Oh you're free to do and build and be whatever you want.  Until the homeowner's association steps in telling you what to do and how to do it.  You can build a fence in your own yard - but it can't be over 4 feet high unless you have a pool.  It must be white with one little pink doggy stenciled on the eastern most post.  Okay I made that last part up but seriously I sit and wonder - who is paying for this fence anyway?  If they're going to regulate it all - how about they chip in a bit?  Least they could do.

I most definitely feel imprisoned.  I am bored with human life.  Thus my escape to a world filled with epic gear and elves.  If only World of Warcraft were the norm.  If only all you had to do was run back to your body if you accidentally fall off a cliff.  You resurrect with half health of course, but a quick potion or bandage and you're good as new. 

There are voices in my head...it is the people I play this game with.  There is a software program called Ventrilo that allows my fellow WoW players to truly converse with each other.  I seem to live my life over such devices as of late.  Phone calls, vent, toon emotes - all the same.  I can't decide if that's a bad thing or not.  Oh many who have never played would say its very bad and not healthy.  But it cuts down on the small talk and awkwardness of meeting in person.  I hate small talk.  How many answers are there to how are you doing and what have you been up to?  Next time I'm going to tell them I killed 50 whelplings in 15 seconds and my last name is now Jenkins.

As one person said in 'trade chat' in the middle of a crowded city:  "Girlfriend?  Who needs a girlfriend?  Girlfriends come and go, but epic gear binds on equip."  Oh wait...that probably wasn't as funny to nonplayers.  I forget about civilians sometimes.  This game will get into your soul and then you are bound to it - both in speech and dreams. 

When I start to spin around as I jump and thrust my hand forward expecting arcane missiles to shoot out, I'll know it is time to seek serious help. 

Til then, you can find me on WoW.  And I wrote all that to say this:  Cataclysm, the new expansion is coming out in less than a week.  This sets the game world on a tizzy as people prep their characters to take on the new content.  If you watch that vid - be not afraid.  My guild and I are on top of it - we'll kill Deathwing and save the world....of warcraft. I'm setting aside the PHP book for a few days.  It's my own vacation because at this point - holidays don't count.  They are so hectic - they feel like work now.  The baking, the decorating, the traveling, the shopping...bleck.  Family face time is definitely worth it - but still hectic.
I am very happy things are falling into place with every project I currently have going. 

There are just those moments I begin to doubt or want things done a little faster and a lot better.  And while those things are not bad to want, breaks and vacations can do a world of good.  As long as I stick to my schedule after this week's vacation - everything is still smooth sailing. 

Love & Gratitude,
Erica Nicole

1 comment:

  1. To truly understand this you have to play the Game.
    Last night sitting at the table I wondered if my Hunter Pet would eat what I was looking at.
    I busted out laughing. Like all things in Life or a Game a person must always look Forward and keep reaching for the stars. And if its not going the way you want, step back think about the direction you wanted to go and move forward.

    ReplyDelete