Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Connected and Ready to Edit

I connected the site to the editing software yesterday.  I am really excited to get this project up and running as that October 31, 2011 deadline looms ahead. 

On one hand it seems like plenty of time, but on the other, it is a daunting task (for me anyway) to learn PHP and mysql from books and web videos. 

I love the challenge, but that doesn't make it any less scary. 

Other than that, there is not much to report.  The latest read was a book sent to me by Gotham Books called life, on the line by Grant Achatz and Nick Kokonas. 

I loved the determination in this book.  I love rags to riches stories and while this book kind of lacked the rags issue, Grant faces a huge challenge with *spoiler alert* facing cancer that could end his career and his life which, seems one in the same with him.  I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads, because although there were obvious character flaws - that is the point of autobiographies -  to allow the author's personality to show and shine the light on the good as well as the bad.

My review on goodreads.com:

I enjoy reading about people who know what they want and their reactions to the challenges they face in getting there. This book reads like a good fiction story. The payoff is that you can actually visit the places in this book when you have finished reading.

I suppose there are big egos here, but I still see the people involved as human beings. It was an interesting read and I would recommend it to anyone. The only thing I did not care for was the fact both guys made it seem like they would raise their standards for critics and I am not naive enough to believe this doesn't go on in nearly every restaurant. It just wasn't becoming. Service should be good enough for everyone - these customers are paying a high price to eat there. But still, I've added eating at Alinea to my mental life list and I wish the authors continuing success in all endeavors!


 Love & Gratitude,
Erica Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment